Register today for the Youth Mental Health First Aid training course. It will be held on Tuesday, November 15th from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm at the EI Transportation Center, 125 Kane Rd., Rochester, NY 14622. The 5-hour in-person training and self-paced on-line course is free and open to all community members. Email email@example.com with the name of attendee to register.
In this training, you will learn how to support the young people in your life. Youth Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental health and substance use challenges among adolescents ages 12-18. You’ll build skills and confidence you need to reach out and provide initial support to young people who are struggling. You’ll also learn how to help connect them to appropriate support.
Learn how to respond with the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan (ALGEE):
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm.
- Listen nonjudgmentally.
- Give reassurance and information.
- Encourage appropriate professional help.
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
AFTER THE COURSE, YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Recognize common signs and symptoms of mental health challenges, including anxiety, depression, eating disorders and attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD).
- Recognize common signs and symptoms of substance use challenges.
- Understand how to interact with a young person in crisis.
- Know how to connect a young person with help.
- Better understand trauma, substance use, self-care and the impact of social media and bullying.